All new accounts created since the 1st of July 2022 will be running v9.x by default. We have been pushing out v9.1.x to existing accounts during this time, and we expect all accounts to have received the upgrade by the 14th of August 2022.
Notable changes in v9
- In our tests, we have seen deduplication reduce the size of backed-up data by an average of 40% compared to v8. Our deduplication document explains more about what you can expect and best working practices.
- Backup and restore MS Teams data
If your OS is no longer supported by the respective vendor (Microsoft, Apple, Linux, etc), then the auto-update won’t work. This is so that we don’t push out an incompatible version of BOBcloud onto legacy OS’.
In these instances, a manual upgrade must be done on your device.
Software and Hardware we support
This article relates to the software we use; Ahsay 9
AhsayOBM is a server OS
AhsayACB is a desktop OS
- Removal of Log4j dependencies
New Backup Destinations
- Wasabi Regions EU West 1 (London), EU Central 2 (Frankfurt), US Central 1 (Texas), AP Northeast 1 (Tokyo), AP Northeast 2 (Osaka), AP Southeast 1 (Singapore), CA Central 1 (Toronto), and AP Southeast 2 (Sydney).
- OpenStack Wallaby
- Aliyun Regions oss-cn-wulanchabu and oss-cn-guangzhou
- Restore O365 email to a local PST File
- Improved error reporting in the restore log when a user is deleted or does not exist in O365
- Option to exclude unlicensed Office365 accounts when creating backup sets
- Performance tuning for restoring SharePoint
- Enhance warning messages when attempting to restore Personal Sites with “Allow custom scripts” disabled
- It is now possible to restore MS Teams data
- Allow files with duplicated names on Google Drive & Google Cloud Storage
- Allow the root folder to be selected in a Cloud File backup set
MS Exchange (Mail-Level)
- Restore Deleted Public Folders in ECP to an original or alternate organisation
- Enhanced Differential Backup for VSS Mode
- Enhanced Restore from Backup for VSS Mode
- Support for Hyper-V Server 2022
- Hyper-V Application Aware Backup
- Hyper-V Backup Logic Revamp
- Hyper-V Backup File Size Reduction
- Hyper-V Run-Direct Performance Tuning
- Enhanced VSS Backup and Restore for Hyper-V 2016
- Support for VMware Workstation v16.2.0
- VMware Application Aware Backup
- VMware Backup File Size Reduction
- VMware Backup & Restore Performance Tuning
- VMware VDDK v7.0.2 update
- Remove support of non-VDDK backup
- Enhanced handling of move/update permission for file backups
- Support of MariaDB 10.8
- Support of QNAP QTS 5.0
Considerations in v9
Ahsay has decided to stop supporting some legacy features that are seldom seen anymore or have been superseded by other technologies.
MS Exchange mail level backup sets using MAPI backup mode may stop working. It is
strongly recommended transitioning to the EWS protocol.
For details, please refer to the following article Termination of Support for mail level
backups using MAPI Protocol on MS Exchange 2013 Cumulative Update 23 or above.
MS Exchange MAPI CDO is no longer supported for v9 client agents.
Non-VDDK VMware backup is no longer supported for v9 client agents, and this will affect backing up the free version of VMware.
Please contact us if you are using the free version of VMware so we can exclude the backup account from auto-updating to v9.
Hyper-V and VMware backup sets have optional backup methods of Full and Incremental. This is based on deltas created by the underlying VM technology that are passed to the Ahsay client agent for transfer. It is recommended to frequently run your backup jobs using Full because it will be more consistent, however, the downside is increased backup periods.