Exploring the Internal Architecture of Synology DS419 Slim

Hello :raised_hand:,

I’m eager to delve deeper into the intricacies of my new Synology DS419 Slim. As a NAS newcomer, I’m keen on understanding the underlying architecture and how it manages various system components.

I’m particularly curious about the following:

• DSM Operating System Location: Despite my sole volume being entirely occupied by an iSCSI LUN, DSM functions flawlessly. Where exactly is the DSM operating system stored within the NAS?:thinking:

• Synology Tools Storage: Given that my iSCSI LUN consumes all available space, do I need to allocate separate storage for essential Synology tools like file transfer applications and system updates?:thinking:

• Flash Storage Configuration: Does the DS419 Slim incorporate dedicated flash storage for the operating system and critical system files? If so, how is this storage managed?:thinking:

• DSM Reserved Space: What is the typical amount of storage reserved for the DSM operating system and essential system functions?:thinking:

• Overall System Structure: Beyond the basics, are there other internal components or backup systems within the NAS that I should be aware of? For example, does the DS419 Slim employ a similar setup to Cisco routers, with separate flash drives for the OS and configuration? :thinking:

I also came across this resource/blog: You cannot view the file system when creating a Synology backup set on v9 cloud computing services, but unfortunately, it did not address my specific needs.

Any insights or detailed explanations would be greatly appreciated. A comprehensive understanding of the DS419 Slim’s internal workings will undoubtedly enhance my ability to manage the NAS effectively.

Thank you :pray:t3: for your time and expertise.

Hi Lily,

Synology is best placed to answer the specific questions you asked, and their product page for your model is here Download Center - download | Synology Inc.

Regarding the backup question you asked, Synology devices can utilise loads of cloud platforms - https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/solution/data_backup

Hope that helps.